Wednesday, June 15, 2011

[IRL #5] White Smoke!

Ok my fellow sheepiness mates, this one's a shorty.

Earlier this day, my friend handed my his external drive saying that he would like to have some of my software copied unto his drive. I am okay with that, since I don't mind sharing my games and applications. When I came home for lunch, I immediately booted up my rig to get the job done immediately.

Here is the fun part...


I placed the drive in a comfortable position, and plugged the usb cable into my PC. After that, I then plugged the power cable unto a socket -- then the unexpected happened. The drive blew up when I switched on the power! White smoke was all over the place. I was in a state of panic that time, and luckily because of my quick reflexes, I swiftly turned off the switch as soon as it popped like a popcorn. Just unbelievable.

It was only then that I discovered that the drive uses 100v household power system... We use 220v here in our location. I saw the label at the back panel of the drive filled with Japanese characters. It was from Japan, that's why it doesn't fit to be using our power system which is quite an overkill.

So guys, what do you think? Is the drive dead? Are the files within it lost? If so...


RIP External drive


PS. It's my first time to blow up a drive.
PSS. Sorry to Danver xD

35 comments:

  1. If there was smoke I'm pretty sure the files are long gone :( Sue japan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I won't be suing them since its my negligence not to look at the specs first. :)

    Make sure to check back on Friday for a [Legit Goodies] entry. Thanks guise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The files are probably gone and the drive is dead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahhh that sucks dude! good thing you turned off the switch quickly but i think the files are dead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You might need to see a mechanic for the death certificate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Think your friend will want some compensation :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Im sorry may your technology sleep well in computer heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  9. it is ok for the first step, now punch him untill he says us what we want!

    ReplyDelete
  10. RIP. I hope my 500GB doesn't explode!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sucks, everything is 110 volts in the US. I wish it was 220 though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Burn it and spread it's ashes over the Pacific.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope I'm wrong but sounds like it might be dead.
    +followed

    ReplyDelete
  14. I lost 500 gig of movies/tv shows and picture recently when my external died. Rage.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had my internal hard drive hit by a pretty bad worm just earlier this week. I had to format it. Lost allll my stuff. >:

    ReplyDelete
  16. nice one, like ur blog, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hate external HD's that you need to plug into a wall outlet. I prefer the WD passport types. They've never failed me, i've owned pretty much every size imaginable, 100/500/1tb. Crazy how 15 years ago i got a 15GB HD computer and was like, NA I'D NEVER USE ALL THIS, now i'm getting files that are much larger than that somewhat daily.

    ReplyDelete
  18. They're probably gone. I'm always afraid this is going to happen to one of my externals. And I have a lot of important stuff on them too. I need to back up with dvds at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The drive is gone, but the data is not. You could change some parts and it would probably work again. But it will cost you nearly as much as a new drive.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yeah man those files let alone the drive being completely fried by the way you described it. Shitty deal I know.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ouch, really unlucky. Feel sorry for the drive :(

    ReplyDelete
  22. That sucks man, yeah probably gone.

    ReplyDelete
  23. If you want, you may be able to recover SOME data, if you take apart the drives and put them into an exact replica drive. Or have someone else do it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You should probably buy a new one

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would love to see you sue Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, thanks, I didn't know this. :o

    ReplyDelete